Hello, friends, and Happy Friday. I’ve been struggling with a weird cold for the past few days, but I’m happy to say that I’m finally back on my feet, and back to work on the final (?) Bland Sisters novel. This weekend, I’ll be heading to Maine for my annual getaway weekend with my BFF, featuring lots of good food, shopping, and plenty of bubbly. Are you finding some time to “treat yo’ self” this holiday season? I hope so.
Speaking of treats, check out these five links:
- So important, especially these days.
- I’ve relied on this stress reliever forever. Feeling validated…and also, hungry.
- Just bought this for my kiddo. It’s a position we can all agree on, no?
- If you’re feeling anxiety about the state of our world and are looking for a way to stay politically active and connected, consider joining Order of the 1460 on Facebook.
- 48 tips to Keep Calm and Be Like Ina (aka my mantra).
Have a great weekend — see you again on Wednesday! xo
Hello, friends, and Happy Friday. This weekend, we’re going to get a pumpkin for the kiddo, and some apple cider and cider donuts for the grownups. On Sunday, I’m going to make my homemade tomato sauce and meatballs, which seems like the perfect way to spend a crisp fall afternoon.
As the election draws closer and the atmosphere grows more tense (and in some cases, more delusional), we all need to find ways to take a break from it. To that end, here are some links to distract you:
- The more you know.
- Also fascinating.
- More cheese? Yes, please!
- I don’t know about you, but this makes me feel better.
Here’s to being comfy and cozy (and slow and steady) — have a great weekend!
Hello, friends — how was your week? Mine was only semi-productive (writing-wise, at least), due to doctor’s appointments and errands and a parent-teacher conference. But I did manage to cross a few things off my To-Do list, and I am only coughing a few times a day now, so I consider that a win.
And speaking of winning, I just got some fabulous news — THE INFAMOUS RATSOS received a CYBILS (Children’s and Young Adult Bloggers’ Literary Awards) nomination!
Since I am in a particularly celebratory mood, here are five fabulous links for you, PLUS a little bonus:
- Amazing Agatha Christie stamps. Sadly, only available in the UK. Why don’t we get to have the nice things?
- I am so here for this. Though I still love the movie version; I watched it almost daily when I was going through chemo. Laughter really is the best medicine.
- Toy Story + Vans? Yes, please. (Get a load of the “ANDY” written on the soles.)
- Four words: Golden Girls action figures. This is not a drill, people!
- All I want to watch is these tiny food videos.
And finally…my contribution to the month-long drawing challenge that is #inktober:
I call this Portrait of a Tired Writer. (Medium: black Crayola marker on copy paper.)
Have a great weekend!
Hello, friends, and Happy Friday. I just finished my antibiotics today (yay!), so hopefully the phlegmmy coughing will (finally finally finally) stop soon. In the meantime, here are a few choice links for you:
- I can’t get enough of McMansion Hell. It’s a truly addictive (and horrifying) feast for the eyes, and a great lesson in architecture.
- As I’ve been convalescing, I’ve also been binging. Highly recommended: One Mississippi, Longmire, Transparent, Fleabag, and And Then There Were None. Next in my queue: LUKE CAGE.
- I’ve been reading How Not to Die (so far, so good) and Emotional Agility (just purchased; hope to report shortly)
- I knew there was a book called Crap Taxidermy, but didn’t realize it started with this glorious (and continuing) Twitter feed.
- Now that autumn’s in the air, I want to eat apples and bake bread.
Have a great weekend! 🙂
Hello, friends, and Happy Friday. So, I’ll be taking a little break from blogging in the coming week, because I will be 1. Celebrating my birthday on Sunday (yay!) and 2. On vacation (double yay!)!
Of course, I’m not about to leave you high and dry, so here are a few fun Friday links. Enjoy!
- I didn’t realize this guy and I had such close birthdays — all this time, we could have been drinking Champagne together! And did you know his first name was Aloysius?
- This looks phenomenal.
- I can’t stop looking at these.
- Are you an educator or librarian, and need some ideas re: how to fund author visits? Look no further.
- You’re welcome.
Have a great weekend — and week!
Hello, friends, and Happy Friday. I’m currently in Burlington, VT at my agent’s annual creative retreat (aka Camp Barry), and I’ve been writing up a storm. Nothing gets me going like a nice hotel, an unfettered schedule, and a gathering of inspiring, brilliant, funny, supportive writers.
Of course, I haven’t forgotten you, so here are a few fun links to get you through your Friday:
- Because one can never have enough Tig in one’s life.
- Please, please, please let this be good.
- I need this.
- Yes, please. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t lip sync to Pat Benatar in the mirror when I was in junior high. (Possibly with the hairbrush I also used to feather my hair.)
- I love magazines (or anything with pages, really). A beautiful magazine about books — and children’s books, specifically? Deal me IN.
Have a great weekend!
P.S. If you’re in the area, I’ll be reading and signing THE INFAMOUS RATSOS tomorrow (8/13) at 10am at The Flying Pig in Shelburne, VT. Hope to see you there!
PLEASE NOTE: The INFAMOUS RATSOS Kindness Contest ended on Tuesday. I’m grateful to all who participated!
Hello, friends, and Happy Friday. What a week it’s been! Many thanks to all those who continue to support THE INFAMOUS RATSOS and its author.Of course, I was brought back down to earth this morning when my son woke up with a fever; he is NOT HAPPY he’s missing his last day of summer camp. (He’ll be fine, by the way. His mother, on the other hand…)
Since I was running my Kindness Contest last Friday and didn’t get to share any links with you, I’m sharing some bonus links today! Enjoy!
- Very cool.
- Bring it.
- Warning: nostalgia bomb.
- Also: Food for thought.
- Yep, pretty much.
- Favorite new Twitter feed.
- You’re welcome.
Have a great weekend — and if you’re n the neighborhood on Saturday (8/6), hope you’ll consider attending my launch party for THE INFAMOUS RATSOS at Barrington Books Retold in Cranston, from 6:30-8:00pm.We’ll have a reading and signing by moi, yummy eats, fun activities for the kids, a photo booth, and of course, bubbly!
Hello, friends, and Happy Friday. It’s been a mixed bag of a week for me; between avoiding the Pokemon Go craze, the Taylor vs. Kim/Kanye feud, and the latest political horror show, I received my author copies of The Infamous Ratsos (yay!) and received an offer on a manuscript I’ve had out on submission for a while (double yay!). More on that last bit when things become more official. I’m planning on going to the beach this weekend with my family; hopefully it isn’t going to be unbearable for us, given the impending heat wave. In the meantime, hope these linky links cool you off…
Happy birthday, Prince George! You’re not QUITE as cute as my own 3-year-old, but I wouldn’t say no to giving those cheeks a squeeze.
If you want to stay indoors (and amidst the A/C) this weekend, might I suggest a movie?
Whether you’re indoors or outside, chill out with these frosty drinks.
But be careful out there, friends.
Have a great weekend!
Hi, friends. So, it seems we’ve come to the end of yet another week filled with tragedy and sadness. My thoughts are with the people of Nice, and with all of us, that we might find a way to come together and heal our troubled world. In the meantime, as ever, I offer a few links to cheer you:
- My queen returns.
- I can’t stare at this anymore or it’s gonna give me a migraine. For the love of Steve Jobs, tell me where that iPhone is!
- Love this perfectly imperfect Instagram account.
- Do you have a flow ritual?
- Two words: s’mores tacos.
All best to you and yours for a weekend filled with peace, love, and sunshine. xo
Hello, friends. I’m trying to find words of comfort in the wake of the tragic events of this week, but all I have is horror, anger, and shame.
It seems frivolous to post a bunch of fun and funny links right now, and yet I will, and I must, because humor is the one comfort I can readily offer. So here goes.
- My son also has a little gray elephant, so this is especially touching.
- If you grew up in the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT) and are a nostalgia junkie like me (and are on Facebook), you HAVE to like (or at least check out) this page.
- As a storyteller, I love this Game of Thrones theory.
- How God created animals.
- Spritzers for everyone.
And on a final note…
ATTENTION ILA16 ATTENDEES: This Sunday, 7/10, I’ll be signing The Unintentional Adventures of the Bland Sisters: The Jolly Regina at Abrams (booth 2307) from 10-12, and signing The Infamous Ratsos at Candlewick Press (booth 2225) from 2:30-3:30. Hope I’ll see you there! Bookmarks! Tattoos! Rats! Piratical Fun!