Hello, everyone! You may have heard two things about me lately:
- After a bad fall a few weeks back, I’ve had my right arm in a cast. Yes, I am right-handed. On top of everything else going on, this has been…challenging.
- I have a new book coming out on Tuesday (5/12), the fourth in the Infamous Ratsos series, titled The Infamous Ratsos CAMP OUT!
CAMP OUT is about many things (camping trips, scouting, poison ivy, the perfection of s’mores and the grandparents who provide them) but it is first and foremost about how asking for help is just as noble as offering it. I don’t know about you, but I’m the type of person who likes to feel competent and independent and really enjoys accomplishing things, so feeling helpless — let alone asking for help — does not always come easily. But in the physical state I’m in now, I can’t do a lot on my own: I can’t spread cream cheese on a bagel or write my name or even tie my shoes. So I’ve had to ask for help, again and again. It’s a bit scary, making myself feel so vulnerable, but it’s also a relief, that I can’t even pretend to be together and in charge all the time, which is just as exhausting as having your arm in a cast.
So I’m going to run a little contest this week. Tell me via Twitter (@karalareau) about the last time you asked for help, with the tag #InfamousRatsosCampOut. You’ll have until Thursday 5/14 at 11:59pm ET to post. I’ll choose three winners at random and will announce them on Friday. Each winner will receive their very own signed copy of The Infamous Ratsos CAMP OUT, along with…
…a kit for making your own s’mores!
Though it might be tough to go out camping these days, don’t let that stop you — check out my Pinterest page here for some tips for camping indoors or in your backyard!
(US entries only, and one entry per person. Winners will have to wait until the end of the month to receive their prizes, as I can’t sign books until my cast is removed!)
Hello, educators and librarians! Are you still floating from those ALAYMA announcements this morning? I know I am. I’m thrilled for all the winners!
At the same time, I’m thinking about the other big event this week: World Read Aloud Day. I’m SUPER BUMMED I’m not able to participate this year, but I still want to find a way to celebrate. So here’s the deal:
- My publisher has sent me 7000+ (yes you read that right!) PROJECT FLUFFY bookmarks (photo evidence above).
- I’d like to give away most of these to your students. I’ll be picking the first winner for this giveaway. Each winner will receive 500 bookmarks (enough for an ENTIRE SCHOOL, hooray!) and a signed copy of PROJECT FLUFFY for your library!
- ENTER TO WIN by posting a review of ANY Infamous Ratsos or Bland Sisters story on Amazon, then email me your contact info here.
- Even if you don’t win, I’ll still send you 25 bookmarks (enough for one classroom, or to use as reading rewards).
- This contest will run until 12:01am EST on Friday, February 1st. US entries only.
Good luck, and HAPPY READING!
UPDATE: The first winner is Kimberly McDermid! Congratulations!
Hello, friends. If you order my latest Infamous Ratsos adventure, Project Fluffy, from my local indie bookstore by October 31st, I’ll sign it and personalize it AND send you a snazzy bookmark! (Just indicate how you want it personalized in the order comments.)
And of course, if you like the book, please consider leaving a review on Amazon and/or Goodreads!
Hello, all! Thanks so everyone who participated in my pre-order contest for The Infamous Ratsos Are Not Afraid. As mentioned, EVERYONE who entered will receive a signed bookplate and a bookmark for each preordered copy, but the grand prize winner of the Infamous FUNTIME Prize Pack (which includes 1. a copy of The Infamous Ratsos Are Not Afraid AND a copy of The Infamous Ratsos, both signed by me AND Matt Myers, 2. a pack of (new INFAMOUS RATSOS character!) Stinky Stanko’s favorite purple pens, and 3. a Skype visit from me with the library or classroom of your choice) is…*drumroll please*
Please drop me an email and let me know your mailing address, as well as how you’d like me to personalize your bookplate(s). (And Sharon, we can work out the details re: the Skype visit.)
Thanks so much again to you all!!
(Book trailer by my pal Gaia Cornwall!)
Hooray, hooray — it’s my book’s birthday! The second book in the INFAMOUS RATSOS series, THE INFAMOUS RATSOS ARE NOT AFRAID, is now available wherever books are sold, so go to your local indie or Amazon or Barnes & Noble and get yourself one (or more)!
Many thanks, as ever, to my editor Sarah Ketchersid, and artistic genius Matt Myers, for bringing my words to life, and to my publisher, Candlewick Press, for sharing my Infamous stories with the world. I’m so excited about this book, especially because it deals with a topic that’s very important to me (and that’s important now more than ever): bravery. I hope it inspires some good conversations — here’s a handy discussion guide to get you started!
If that’s not exciting enough, today is also the publication day for the paperback edition of the first INFAMOUS RATSOS story! You can also buy it through your local indie or Amazon or Barnes & Noble. It deals with the topic of kindness, and it’s also a great conversation starter (discussion guide here).
In the meantime, I am finishing up the text for Book Three of THE INFAMOUS RATSOS series, while ALSO finishing up the text for Book Three of The Unintentional Adventures of the Bland Sisters series. Whew! I’m a LITTLE tired, but otherwise no complaints.
Hope I’ll see you at one of my book events this fall — check out my schedule to see if I’ll be appearing near you!
Hello, friends! Check out this handy-dandy little calendar of my appearances this fall — spread the word! Hope I might see you at one or more of these, along with any kiddos you might know!
Hello, friends. So, the next book in the INFAMOUS RATSOS series, The Infamous Ratsos Are Not Afraid, is due to publish in September 12th. Hurrah!
In honor of this occasion, I’m going to run a little contest over the next month (from today, 8/11, until pub day on 9/12). Here’s how it works:
- If you pre-order The Infamous Ratsos Are Not Afraid from your local indie or Amazon or Barnes & Noble, email me (at email@example.com) a photo of your receipt along with your mailing address. I’ll send you a personalized, signed bookplate and a bookmark for each copy purchased!
- If you promote the book on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram, email me (at firstname.lastname@example.org) a screenshot and I’ll also send you a signed bookplate and bookmark!
- If you do any of the aforementioned things, you’ll be entered to win an INFAMOUS FUNTIME PRIZE PACK, including 1. a copy of The Infamous Ratsos Are Not Afraid AND a copy of The Infamous Ratsos, both signed by me AND Matt Myers, 2. a pack of (new INFAMOUS RATSOS character!) Stinky Stanko’s favorite purple pens, and 3. a Skype visit from me with the library or classroom of your choice, where I’ll read from the book, answer questions, and send along some swag for the audience!
Think you can handle all this Infamous fun? As Louie and Ralphie might say, GAME ON!